Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sleep Training

Someone refused to take more than a 30 minute nap today :)

After Juliet's pediatrician suggested we work on the way we get her to sleep at night, we decided to start sleep training.  It's such a hard thing to listen to your baby scream and cry for you and not respond or comfort her.  I know every parent has to go through it and all my friends and family have been telling me to do it for a while now, but it's still tough.  So after I fed her a bottle, gave her a pacifier, and laid her in her bed with her blankie, I kissed her goodnight and walked away.  She cried about 20 minutes the first night, which I know is awesome compared to what some other parents have to experience, but it was still so hard!  The second night, it was about 2 minutes or less.  The third night she fell asleep in the car on the way home from 4th of July fireworks and stayed asleep.  The 4th and 5th nights, about 2 minutes.  We were also told to just let her cry if she wakes up in the middle of the night, which she usually does every night.  Boy, I was glad to hear that! She has woken up a few nights over this past week and it has been so nice to just be able to stay in bed and go back to sleep.  She usually goes back to sleep within 5 minutes or so.  I never realized she would go back to sleep if I didn't go in there to put her pacifier back in or rock her back to sleep!  So I would say we are doing pretty good.  Hopefully it will continue to go this well because it sure is working for us!

1 comment:

  1. Love that I found your blog...seriously. Jade always fell asleep great, it was the middle of the night wakings that she would scream for over an hour...then I gave in and got her a bottle. It is so incredibly hard, but I am glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete